And Dinah the daughter of Leah, which she bore to Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.…
1. Great men's children are not usually the best; but vile and debauched. So Shechem the son of a prince.
2. Sons of great men are apt to think they may sin by authority; being not restrained.
3. It is a dangerous thing for an innocent damsel to come under the eye of lascivious men.
4. Lustful sight of beauty moveth hearts to take hold of opportunities to enjoy
5. Lust holds fast of its prey, will certainly close with it, humble, and afflict it (ver. 2).
6. Lust layeth out the very soul of man upon its prey desired.
7. Unclean love is the usual fruit of violent and injurious lust.
8. Lust will speak to the heart of any whom it may tempt unto unclean enjoyment (ver. 3).
9. Brutish lust cannot deny the parents' right in ordering children unto marriage.
10. Lust itself will desire God's ordinance of marriage for its own vile ends (ver. 4).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Dinah the daughter of Leah, which she bare unto Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.