And Dinah the daughter of Leah, which she bore to Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.…
1. Sad tidings of children's miscarriages and miseries may be brought to gracious parents.
2. Reports and hearing of evil, especially in dear children, strikes deep, through ears, to the hearts of parents.
3. Shechem's violence upon Dinah, or of wicked me-, upon the daughters of the Church, is very sad.
4. Such evils may befall relations while they are honestly employed, and think not of it.
5. Silence in grieving, considering, and bearing such providences, becometh saints.
6. Silence of grieved spirits may well be broken off, when such are present whom they may consult for ease (ver. 5).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Dinah the daughter of Leah, which she bare unto Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.