And Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to commune with him.…
1. Sad news of misery on relations calling for help may take men off from their employments.
2. Grief is a duty for evil done to, or by, any of our relations.
3. Anger against sin committed is but due, if it be expressed orderly.
4. Men, though in the Church, are apt to be transported in wrath beyond bounds.
5. Uncleanness acted is the greatest folly that can be expressed (Proverbs 7:22).
6. Pollution of any members in the Church of God is an aggravated folly.
7. Jacob's daughter to be defiled; it is a sad and grievous reproach.
8. The law of God expressly forbids such unclean actings. Therefore are they exceeding sinful in the Church (ver. 7).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to commune with him.