And Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to commune with him.…
1. Treachery and cruelty watch their season exactly to effect their designs.
2. Guileful cruelty hath its method first to weaken men and then to kill them.
3. Anger and revenge ordered under Providence may make two prevail against thousands.
4. Corrupt nature meditates revenge to vindicate injury done unto relations.
5. Reverge goeth armed with instruments of cruelty to execute its designs.
6. Cruelty, uncontrolled by God, goeth out with security and confidence to ruin cities.
7. Bloody revenge spareth none that either have provoked, or may resist it.
8. God sometimes suffers ruin to befall subjects when they comply with rulers' sins (ver. 25).
9. Exemplary destruction for rapes God orders upon father and son, sometimes even by wicked hands.
10. Ordinances of God abused to men's base ends, are made means to their own destruction.
11. Revenge is not quiet until it obtain its mark and carry back its desire (ver. 26).
12. A few revengeful spirits are apt to gather many unto them.
13. Bloody minds are covetous as cruel, set upon spoil.
14. Injury and provocation is usually urged by oppressing spoilers as just ground for their actings (ver. 27).
15. Rapine of goods God sometimes orders to avenge ravishing of innocents.
16. Unsatiable is covetous revenge when it comes to spoil at its will (ver. 28).
17. Revenge spareth neither sex nor age under its power.
18. Wealth within doors, as without the sword, takes up when it hath commission (ver. 29).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to commune with him.