And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach to heaven; and let us make us a name…
1. Sinful apostates are active in drawing each other to sin.
2. Wickedness is studious for means to effect its ends.
3. No difficulties usually hinder sin from its undertakings.
4. It is but brick and slime wherewith wickedness builds (ver. 3).
5. Wicked ones are much encouraging one another to evil.
6. Cities and towers, ornament and strength, are sinners' trophies.
7. Sin's structure would be as high and stately as heaven.
8. Sinners are ambitious of a name on earth.
9. Dispersion is the evil which sinners fear.
10. Sinners resolve to provide their own security against God's judgments by the works of their own hands (ver. 4).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.