And the LORD said to Moses, Stretch out your hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt…
1. God falls upon sinners without warning where they deal falsely with Him.
2. The same signal God may command for several uses.
3. God's word determines the end unto which all signals are appointed.
4. Men's hands lifted up to heaven God may make use of to bring evils on the earth.
5. It is God's word to make a kingdom the land of darkness.
6. Palpable darkness is a judgment of God's own making (ver. 21).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt.