And the LORD said to Moses, Stretch out your hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt…
1. Obedience to God's signal commands must be given by His servants.
2. Signal obedience by God's ministers is not in vain. God giveth the effect.
3. Horrid darkness can God send upon souls darkened through sin.
4. Egyptian darkness is God's exemplary vengeance to the world.
5. The place and duration of darkness are at God's appointment (ver. 22).
6. Dismal darkness is that which takes from men the use of sense and motion.
7. Chains of darkness can God make to hold fast sinners in prison.
8. God executes His judgments on the world with discrimination to His people.
9. Egypt's darkness is Israel's light (ver. 23).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt.