And it shall be when your son asks you in time to come, saying, What is this? that you shall say to him…
1. After redemption of His Church God provideth for guiding them in the way to rest.
2. Nearest ways to rest with men are not always approved by God for His people.
3. God's foreknowledge of dangerous ways to His Church doth prevent them.
4. God will not put His people upon war or hard trials until He have fitted them for it.
5. God's special care of His Church is to keep them from a retreat to bondage after redemption (ver. 17).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What is this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the LORD brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage: