And if men strive together, and one smite another with a stone, or with his fist, and he die not, but keeps his bed:…
1. Passions and contentions breed many sad events among neighbours.
2. Smitings, and wounds, and sickness, and death are usual effects of sudden passions.
3. In case it proceed not to death, God will not suffer injuries unpunished by men.
4. Not only the death, but the hurts of men, are in God's heart to prevent (ver. 18).
5. It is just with God that he who wounds must look to thorough healing of his neighbour.
6. Man's loss of time, as well as health, God will have recompensed by the injurious.
7. Security and prosperity of creatures is the end cf God's judgments against violent men (vers. 18, 19).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And if men strive together, and one smite another with a stone, or with his fist, and he die not, but keepeth his bed: