And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah…
1. God sometimes answers His in the instant of prayer.
2. Providence orders motions for time and place in fitting persons for marriage according to His will.
3. The fittest wives and husbands are such who are the answer of prayer.
4. Goodness of family, honesty of calling, comeliness of person, purity of conversation, industry in labour, concur sweetly to make a good consort (vers. 15, 16).
5. After praying to God, there must be acting by man to find God's answer.
6. Humble addresses become strangers in desiring courtesies as answers from God's mercy (ver. 17).
7. Ingenuity is quick and active in doing courtesy unto strangers.
8. Much kindness sometimes is shown in giving but a little water (ver. 18).
9. Ingenuous spirits are free to do good to beasts as well as men (ver. 19).
10. It is a sweet disposition to satisfy man and beast until they be full.
11. Providence makes good the signs He gives to His to the uttermost (ver. 20).
12. Wonderful are God's providences many times in answering prayer, and so to be admired.
13. A silent and serious consideration there should be about the rare events of God's providence.
14. The knowledge of God's mind in all providences is to be laboured after for man's duty and God's glory (ver. 21).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.