And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah…
1. Ingenuous spirits perform what kindness they do offer.
2. Courtesies being finished, it is time to prepare for thanks.
3. Ornaments best suit with them that are of pure minds and ingenuous conversations.
4. Gifts are not unlawful, being justly bestowed in gratefulness, and in pursuance of lawful desires (ver. 22).
5. Prudence finds out by queries such as are appointed unto marriage by God's providence.
6. Inquiry for a night's lodging may conduce under Providence to further great affairs (ver. 23).
7. Providence ordereth the desired answer concerning persons sought for to them whom God sends.
8. Answers of abundant provision God maketh unto strangers sent about His business. All suits well (vers. 24, 25).
9. Whatever answers of good men have from creatures, they should produce worship to God (ver. 26).
10. Gracious hearts bless God by praising when He blesseth them by prospering.
11. Good servants bless God for mercy and truth to their masters as for guidance to themselves.
12. Though angels minister to us, God alone must have the glory of all good events (ver. 27).
13. In such returns God speeds instruments to further on His own designs of good to His servants (ver 28).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.