And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing with which his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart…
1. Providence ordereth the counsels of the wicked to be revealed that they may be prevented.
2. God maketh sometimes the instruments of their straits to be instruments of deliverance to His. So Rebekah was to Jacob.
3. It is but meet that such who bring into danger should be solicitous to prevent it.
4. Timely advice for safety should be taken with greatest heed, as given with greatest care.
5. The murder of the innocent is the comfort of the cruel and wicked man. Revenge comforts the hypocrite, when no harm is done to him (ver. 22).
6. The mother's voice must be heard when it tends to the good of children.
7. Flight from danger into exile is many times the lot of persecuted saints.
8. God can make the wicked's habitations sometimes shelters to His people (ver. 43.)
9. Gracious parents and children would part but for a little time if it might be.
10. Time wears out anger and memory of all pretended injuries in the wicked (ver. 44).
11. Tender mothers long to preserve the lives of children, evil and good.
12. To be childless, or bereft of all, is an evil deprecated by the saints (ver. 45; Jeremiah 31:15).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.