And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob has taken away all that was our father's…
1. No fraud, lying, or deceit, come amiss to covetous worldly spirits for their own ends.
2. Multiplied falsehoods and oppressions are usual with wicked men, to oppress the innocent and to help themselves.
3. The greatest service is of no account with wicked worldly men.
4. Safe are those faithful ones who are taken into God's charge.
5. Men may invent many ways to hurt the righteous, but God giveth them not up to their hand (ver. 7).
6. God's power and justice turneth the very purposes of the wicked to His saints' good and their evil.
7. The subtlety of man can never prevent the power and wisdom of God (ver. 8).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory.