And Noah began to be an farmer, and he planted a vineyard:…
1. The best and holiest of men upon God's seating them here below, must undertake some honest calling. So Noah is for husbandry.
2. Man's labour and planting must serve God's providence to bring the fruits of the earth unto their due use and end (ver. 20).
3. Feeding or drinking on a man's own labours is a privilege not denied to man.
4. The best of men may be apt to exceed in the use of creature comforts.
5. Wine is a mocker, and may deceive the holiest men that are not watchful (Proverbs 20:1). God hath not spared to discover the worst as the best of his saints (ver. 20).
(1) To humble them.
(2) To warn others.
(3) To glorify grace, that their righteousness is of Him only (ver. 21).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: