Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bore to Abraham:…
1. The genealogies of the wicked, God sometimes recorded for His own glory and the sake of the Church (ver. 12).
2. God doth by name punctually perform His promise unto His servants, though it be concerning the wicked.
3. God doth vouchsafe a more abundant seed sometimes to the children of the flesh than to the children of the promise. Ishmael hath many sons, it is long till Isaac hath any.
4. Great dignities, commands, and powers below God doth cast upon bondmen in the Church (ver. 16). One drachm of grace is above monarchies.
5. A long age may betide an Ishmael, but not a good one.
6. A like death may seem to be both to the righteous and the wicked, but it is not so in truth.
7. The wicked in death are gathered to their people as well as the righteous unto theirs (ver. 17).
8. God giveth the lot of habitation, motion and cessation unto the worst of men on earth (ver. 18).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bare unto Abraham: