1. The genealogies of the wicked, God sometimes recorded for His own glory and the sake of the Church (ver. 12).
These are the generations of Ishmael.I. THAT THOSE WHO ARE NOT APPOINTED TO THE MOST HONOURABLE PLACE ARE YET CARED FOR BY PROVIDENCE.
II. THAT PROVIDENCE AFFORDS ENCOURAGEMENTS FOR THE SUPPORT OF FAITH AND VIRTUE.
III. THAT THE FAITHFULNESS OF PROVIDENCE MAY BE PROVED ON DIFFERENT LINES. Past and present condition of
(1) (2) (T. H. Leale.)
(2) (T. H. Leale.)
(T. H. Leale.)
2. God doth by name punctually perform His promise unto His servants, though it be concerning the wicked.
3. God doth vouchsafe a more abundant seed sometimes to the children of the flesh than to the children of the promise. Ishmael hath many sons, it is long till Isaac hath any.
4. Great dignities, commands, and powers below God doth cast upon bondmen in the Church (ver. 16). One drachm of grace is above monarchies.
5. A long age may betide an Ishmael, but not a good one.
6. A like death may seem to be both to the righteous and the wicked, but it is not so in truth.
7. The wicked in death are gathered to their people as well as the righteous unto theirs (ver. 17).
8. God giveth the lot of habitation, motion and cessation unto the worst of men on earth (ver. 18).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
LinksGenesis 25:12 NIV
Genesis 25:12 NLT
Genesis 25:12 ESV
Genesis 25:12 NASB
Genesis 25:12 KJV
Genesis 25:12 Bible Apps
Genesis 25:12 Parallel
Genesis 25:12 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 25:12 Chinese Bible
Genesis 25:12 French Bible
Genesis 25:12 German Bible
Genesis 25:12 Commentaries