Because your loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise you.
I. CONCERNING THE LOVINGKINDNESS OF THE LORD. It appears —
1. In the constitution of the Mediator between God and man.
2. In the establishment of the covenant with His own Son in the office of mediation.
3. In the mission of His only-begotten Son to do the work of mediation in our nature;
4. In reconciling sinners to Himself by the death of His Son.
5. In drawing men to Christ.
6. In crowning men in Christ with all spiritual blessings.
7. In the work of providence. This work is long, and exceeding broad. Hold the glass to the right eye, and look through it on these pieces or dispensations which seem to have a dark ground, and praise the lovingkindness of the Lord, and magnify the work that is after the counsel of His own will.
II. CONCERNING THE COMPARATIVE EXCELLENCE OF THE LOVINGKINDNESS, which is a glory in the face of God reconciling the world to Himself through the mediation of His beloved and only begotten Son in our nature. Comparing it with life, the psalmist pronounces it better.
1. Lovingkindness appearing in the face of God toward us in Christ Jesus is earlier than life.
2. Longer than life. In its duration is neither beginning nor end of days.
3. Richer than life. Lovingkindness is the fountain of redemption, reconciliation, pardon, acceptance, holiness; of the earnest, the seal, the anointing of the Spirit; and of all the streams of grace, and mercy, and goodness, which enrich the valleys of Zion, and make her wastes to shout and sing.
4. Sweeter and more pleasant than life.
5. Gives seasonings and relishes to the blessings and comforts of life.
III. CONCERNING OUR PRAISING THE LOVINGKINDNESS OF THE DEITY. This includes —
1. The perception of His lovingkindness in Christ Jesus by the understanding. Christ dying for sinners is the commendation of loving. kindness.
2. The belief of His lovingkindness with the heart. If we believe, we will praise; and when we praise, we will believe.
3. The exercise of our affections toward the lovingkindness which is a glory of the face of God in Christ Jesus. The lovingkindness of God is transcendently amiable. When He lifts up the light of it upon the new creation, their affections are aloft, and mount up in joy and praise with wings as eagles. Their affections are fruits of His Spirit, dwelling and working by His Word in their heart.
4. A conversation becoming His lovingkindness.
5. Offering thanksgiving continually for the kindnesses of His love in Christ Jesus. Let the praises of it be founded with the voice of thanksgiving in His courts, and around His holy hill, in our chambers, and houses, and villages, and in all the forests and wastes where we sojourn.
Parallel VersesKJV: Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.