After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.…
Jesus went to the feast in secret, and the Jews sought Him. From differing motives they inquire for Him, but they did inquire. No man, having once heard of Jesus, can any longer remain indifferent to Him: he must take some sort of interest in the Lord Jesus. From many quarters come the question, "Where is He?" We will at this time —
I. CONSIDER THE WAYS IN WHICH THE QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED.
1. Hate, ferociously desiring to slay Him, and overthrow His cause. Herod was the type of this school.
2. Infidelity, sneeringly denying His existence, taunting His followers because His cause does not make progress (2 Peter 3:4).
3. Timorous fear, sadly doubting His presence, power, and prevalence (Job 23:8, 9).
4. Penitence, humbly seeking Him that she may confess her sin, trust her Lord, and show her gratitude to Him (Job 23:3).
5. Love, heartily pining for communion with Him, and for an opportunity to serve Him (Song of Solomon 3:3).
6. Fear, bitterly lamenting His absence, and craving His return.
7. Desire, ardently aspiring to meet Him in His second advent, and to behold His glory (Revelation 22:20).
II. GIVE THE SAINTS' EXPERIMENTAL ANSWER. He is —
1. At the mercy-seat when we cry in secret.
2. In the Word as we search the sacred page.
3. In the assemblies of His people, even with two or three.
4. At His table, known in the breaking of bread.
5. In the field of service, aiding, sympathizing, guiding, and prospering. In all things glorified before the eyes of faith.
6. In the furnace of trial, revealing Himself, sanctifying the trial, bearing us through.
7. Near us, yea, with us, and in us.
III. RETURN THE QUESTION TO YOU. Is He —
1. At the bottom of your trust?
2. At the root of your joys?
3. On the throne of your heart?
4. Near by constant converse?
5. Is His Spirit manifested in your spirit, words, and actions?
6. Is He before you, that to the end of your journey, the terminus towards which you are daily hastening?
IV. ASK IT OF THE ANGELS. They, with one voice, reply that He is —
1. In the bosom of the Father.
2. In the centre of glory.
3. On the throne of government.
4. In the place of representation.
5. In the armoury of mercy.
6. Within reach of you and all needy sinners who will now seek Him.Conclusion:
1. Come, let us go and find Him. We will hold no feast till He is among us.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.