Who is this that comes from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel…
I. IN WHAT RESPECTS THE GLORY OF OUR REDEEMER WAS APPARENT EVEN IN HIS SUFFERINGS, and shone through the dark cloud that covered Him in His humiliation.
1. From His ready undertaking of the work of our redemption. There can be little honour to any man in submitting to what he cannot avoid, or doing what he dare not refuse; but the humiliation of Christ was perfectly" voluntary.
2. From the greatness of those sufferings which He endured. A weak person is crushed by a small weight; but he who is able to endure uncommon sufferings shows himself to be possessed of uncommon strength. Our blessed Lord, in His life in this world, endured the greatest and most dreadful sufferings.
(1) His afflictions began early, with His first entrance into the world.
(2) His afflictions were constant, without interruption.
(3) Of the severest kind.
(4) The afflictions of our Lord not only continued, but increased, through His life, till they at last issued in an extraordinary conflict with the powers of darkness, and an immediate subjection to the wrath of a sin-arching God.
3. From the purity of His carriage, and the perfection of His patience.
4. From the end He had in view in His sufferings, and which He so effectually obtained. The glory of God, and the salvation of sinners.
II. PRACTICAL IMPROVEMENT.
1. We are here caned to admire and adore the unsearchable wisdom and unspeakable love of God.
2. The guilt and danger of all who are not reconciled to God.
3. The encouragement of sinners to return to God through Christ.
4. Be is able to uphold the weakest Christian in the midst of the most dangerous temptations, though He often suffers the self-sufficient to fall before His enemies. Wherefore believe in the almighty power of your Redeemer.
5. The comfort of every disconsolate soul.
Parallel VersesKJV: Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.
WEB: Who is this who comes from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this who is glorious in his clothing, marching in the greatness of his strength? "It is I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save."