Who is this that comes from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel…
I. THE HERO HERE IS ONE WHO HAD FOUGHT IN THE MIDST OF ENEMIES. What Edom was to Israel, sin is to the universe. Christ fought in the midst of enemies; entered the very heart of this sinful world, battled with evil in all its forms.
II. THE HERO HERE IS ONE WHO HAS BEEN DEEPLY WOUNDED. He returns from Bozrah with dyed garments. Christ was wounded —
1. In HIS body.
2. In HIS reputation. He was represented as a blasphemer, as a political traitor, ,as the emissary of Beelzebub.
3. In His soul. "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, ' etc.
III. THE HERO HERE IS ONE RETURNING FROM BATTLE IN GREAT MAGNIFICENCE. "Glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength." With what magnificence Christ returned from the battle of earth to the scenes of heaven (Acts 1:9-11).
IV. THE HERO HERE IS ONE WHOSE CAREER HAD BEEN DISTINGUISHED BY RIGHTEOUSNESS. "I that speak in righteousness. I, the declarer of righteousness (as some render it). Though a warrior, he had invented no stratagems to deceive, and had violated no rights. Christ was righteous in all His conflicts. He taught righteousness, He practised righteousness, He fought for righteousness, He died for righteousness.
V. THE HERO HERE IS ONE, WHOSE STRENGTH IS MIGHTINESS TO SAVE. His form was the very embodiment of strength; but his strength was not to destroy, but to save.
1. "I that speak in righteousness." The very essence and being of Christ is righteousness. But the expression here seems to refer to the fact of His being the incarnate righteousness of God and the imputed righteousness of man. He speaks in our stead. He stands holy in place of our unholiness.
2. "Mighty to save." The victory was for man. He is mighty to save —
(1) From the vengeance of Divine justice.
(2) From the malignity of Satan.
(3) From the voice of an accusing conscience.
(4) From the power and fear of death.
Parallel VersesKJV: Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.
WEB: Who is this who comes from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this who is glorious in his clothing, marching in the greatness of his strength? "It is I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save."