Then Moses and Aaron went and assembled all the elders of the Israelites,
I. THE WORD SPOKEN.
1. Should be the Word of God. The preacher is not set to deliver his own speculations, but to convey a message.
2. Should be exhibited with its appropriate evidence.
3. Should be declared to all.
II. THE WORD BELIEVED. The people -
1. Appreciated the value of the word.
2. Believed the word.
3. Worshipped; a token of gratitude, submission, and obedience. - J.O.
1. Declaring of God's will is suitably united to the assembling of His people.
Gathered together all the elders.I. THEY ACTED UPON THE DIVINE SUGGESTION. All Christian work should be undertaken according to the Divine suggestion, and in harmony with the Divine will. God generally tells men how to work as well as what to do. If we were left to mark out our own methods of toil, we should often involve both ourselves and the enterprise entrusted to us in great danger.
II. THEY SPAKE ACCORDING TO THE DIVINE DICTATION. Great workers require to be taught by God. In this consists their safety and success. A man who speaks to the world the messages of God will always be listened to.
III. THEY SUCCEEDED ACCORDING TO DIVINE INTIMATION. Thus Moses and Aaron awakened —
3. Devotion — of Israel.Moses had previously said that Israel would not believe him. We mistake our missions. We cannot form an estimate of success. If we act and speak according to the instruction of God we must succeed.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
2. God's spokesmen made by Him are fittest to declare his mind to His people.
3. The words of Jehovah only, which He hath spoken to His servants, must be given to His assembly.
4. God may give His mind more immediately to one servant than to another (to Moses).
5. God's stupendous works must be done, as well as His words spoken, to His people.
6. God's congregation are the first subject to whom His words and works are sent.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
(Prof. Isaac H. Hall.)
LinksExodus 4:29 NIV
Exodus 4:29 NLT
Exodus 4:29 ESV
Exodus 4:29 NASB
Exodus 4:29 KJV
Exodus 4:29 Bible Apps
Exodus 4:29 Parallel
Exodus 4:29 Biblia Paralela
Exodus 4:29 Chinese Bible
Exodus 4:29 French Bible
Exodus 4:29 German Bible
Exodus 4:29 Commentaries