Then the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men were building.
Genesis 11:5; Hebrews 11:16).
I. THEIR BUILDERS. Of the first, men - mostly wicked men; of the second, the Architect of the universe.
III. THEIR DESIGN. Of the first, to be a bond of union among sinners; of the second, to be a residence for God's children.
IV. THEIR APPEARANCE. Of the first, that of slime, mud, bricks, or at best stones; of the second, that of gold and pearls.
V. THEIR DURATION. Of the first, it is written that with all the other works of man, they shall be burnt up; of the second that it shall be everlasting. - W.
1. God speaks, as well as marks, the attempts of the ungodly to their reproach and confusion.
The Lord came down to see.1. Men's apostasy and proud attempts are knit together with God's visitation.
2. God is below when men think He hath forsaken the earth, and is near to visit the wickedness of man.
3. God's descent is for vengeance sometimes upon sinners.
4. God doth visit the beauty and strength of wickedness.
5. The apostate sons of Adam may build their fabrics to prevent God's judgments.
6. Jehovah will mark for vengeance the sons of wickedness and weakness in all their buildings against Him (ver. 5).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
2. God points out the greatest advantages of violent workers of iniquity to scorn.
3. Unity of minds, resolutions, and communications, are the greatest props to wicked undertakers.
4. Violent workers of iniquity presume to finish as well as begin: that nothing shall be withheld from them.
5. Proud and presumptuous undertakings of men are a scorn and derision to God (ver. 6).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
(J. Parker, D. D.)
LinksGenesis 11:5 NIV
Genesis 11:5 NLT
Genesis 11:5 ESV
Genesis 11:5 NASB
Genesis 11:5 KJV
Genesis 11:5 Bible Apps
Genesis 11:5 Parallel
Genesis 11:5 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 11:5 Chinese Bible
Genesis 11:5 French Bible
Genesis 11:5 German Bible
Genesis 11:5 Commentaries