After Abram returned from defeating Chedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
I. THE LITTLE ARMY; emblematic of the handful of Christ's disciples at the first, and of the comparative feebleness of the Church still; yet "God's strength is ever made perfect in weakness," and so "the weakness of God becomes stronger than men."
II. THE TRUSTY CONFEDERATES; regarding the Amorite chieftains as possessors of the true faith, suggestive of the united purpose and action by which the Church of Christ in all its parts should be governed, and of the weakness that springs from divided counsels.
III. THE RAPID MARCH; a picture of the holy celerity and earnest zeal with which the Church should set about her enterprise of conquering the world for Christ; a reminder of how much may be lost by delay.
IV. THE SKILFUL TACTICS; proclaiming the same doctrine as Christ - that his people should be wise as serpents; revealing the necessity for the Church making use Of the most brilliant abilities she can command on all her different fields of action.
V. THE SPLENDID VICTORY; a foreshadowing of the final triumph which awaits the Church, and of the blessing which, through its instrumentality, will eventually descend upon the world. - W.
Return from the slaughter.1. Conquerors usually want not observance and congratulations from the world.
2. The powers of the earth are sometimes forced to acknowledge the prowess of God's saints.
3. Humanity persuades men to the acknowledgment of God to any, whom God makes helpful to them.
4. The killing of the slayer, and breaking the yoke of the oppressor is cause of congratulation to the oppressed.
5. Nature will not be slow to meet and congratulate its deliverers.
6. Deliverance may make men go far to acknowledge God's servants, who before would scarce vouchsafe to go out of doors for them.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
LinksGenesis 14:17 NIV
Genesis 14:17 NLT
Genesis 14:17 ESV
Genesis 14:17 NASB
Genesis 14:17 KJV
Genesis 14:17 Bible Apps
Genesis 14:17 Parallel
Genesis 14:17 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 14:17 Chinese Bible
Genesis 14:17 French Bible
Genesis 14:17 German Bible
Genesis 14:17 Commentaries