"Take your son," God said, "your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. Offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will show you."
1. God's care for those beyond the covenant. A Beersheba in a heathen land.
2. The things of this world made a channel of higher blessings. The covenant arising out of bodily wants a civil agreement. The oath a testimony to God where reverently made.
3. He is not far from every one of us. The neighborhood of Beersheba, the revelation of Jehovah, the little company of believers.
4. The blessing made manifest. The days spent in Philistia left behind them some enlightenment.
5. Adaptation of Divine truth to those to whom it is sent. Abraham's name of God, Jehovah El Olam; the two revelations, the God of nature and the God of grace. The name of the Lord itself an invitation to believe and live. Paul at Athens adapted himself in preaching to the people's knowledge while leading them to faith. - R.
Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.
Homilist.I. ABRAHAM NOW AT BEERSHEBA HAD THE SATISFACTION OF HAVING PRACTICALLY RECOGNIZED GOD'S ABSOLUTE CLAIM UPON HIM.
1. An immense claim.
2. Yet righteous.
II. ABRAHAM AT BEERSHEBA HAD THE SATISFACTION OF HAVING PURSUED THE PATH OF RECTITUDE THROUGH THE GREATEST TRIALS.
1. In relation to the period at which it occurred.
2. In relation to the sentiment of his age.
3. In relation to his theological creed.
4. In relation to his domestic association.
5. In relation to his own nature.
III. ABRAHAM AT BEERSHEBA HAD THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING THAT HE HAD OBTAINED THE APPROBATION OF HIS MAKER — expressed in three ways.
1. By a signal interposition.
2. By an unequivocal assurance.
3. By the unfolding of a glorious future.
LinksGenesis 22:2 NIV
Genesis 22:2 NLT
Genesis 22:2 ESV
Genesis 22:2 NASB
Genesis 22:2 KJV
Genesis 22:2 Bible Apps
Genesis 22:2 Parallel
Genesis 22:2 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 22:2 Chinese Bible
Genesis 22:2 French Bible
Genesis 22:2 German Bible
Genesis 22:2 Commentaries