Now Esau learned that Isaac had blessed Jacob and sent him to Paddan-aram to take a wife there, commanding him, "Do not marry a Canaanite woman,"
1. Domestic life under the blessing of God and apart from that blessing.
2. The true blessing is the blessing of Abraham, the blessing which God has already provided, promised, and secured.
3. The heir of the blessing must be sent away and learn by experience how to use it.
4. The disinherited man, who has scorned his opportunity, cannot recover it by his own devices. Esau is still Esau. Polygamy was suffered, but never had the blessing of God upon it. - R.
1. Hypocrites hearing of blessing upon others, pretend to make to it as well as any.
Then went Esau unto Ishmael.I. HIS CONDUCT WAS MERCENARY.
II. HIS CONDUCT WAS ONE-SIDED.
III. HIS CONDUCT WAS FRAMED BY THE PRINCIPLE OF IMITATION.
(T. H. Leale.)
2. Hypocrites hearing God's charge to accompany His blessing, would seem to observe it (ver. 6).
3. Hypocrites seeing the obedience of saints, would seem to imitate it (ver. 7).
4. Hypocrites perceiving what is displeasing to God and His servants, would seem to avoid it (ver. 8).
5. Hypocrites in all their pretences for God, take their own ways without His counsel.
6. Hypocrites in all their pretended imitations of the saints do but add sin to sin (ver. 9).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
LinksGenesis 28:6 NIV
Genesis 28:6 NLT
Genesis 28:6 ESV
Genesis 28:6 NASB
Genesis 28:6 KJV
Genesis 28:6 Bible Apps
Genesis 28:6 Parallel
Genesis 28:6 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 28:6 Chinese Bible
Genesis 28:6 French Bible
Genesis 28:6 German Bible
Genesis 28:6 Commentaries