The Congregational Pulpit
After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am your shield…
I. GOD IS OUR SHIELD. God is your shield, and therefore, you are safe. Christian, what is your fear?
1. There is Satan: and he is a cruel and powerful foe. True; but God is greater than he.
2. There are men: the ungodly and the false, who seek to injure us in mind, character, friendships, position, property. Do not be terrified by your adversaries. Commit your cause and way to God (see Psalm 120; Psalm 121.).
3. There are the sorrows and afflictions of life.
II. "AND EXCEEDING GREAT REWARD." We are called to endure much, and to give up much, for the kingdom of heaven's sake. We are not promised the compensation of pecuniary wealth, or honour, and praise among men. But God is Himself our reward. This is partly realized here: but is mainly reserved for hereafter.
1. God is our secret solace in this life.
2. He is our eternal reward.
(The Congregational Pulpit.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.