As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you; and you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.
I. A DIRE NECESSITY. Comfort.
II. A DEPLORABLE INCAPACITY. — We are helpless as babes.
III. AN ABSOLUTE IGNORANCE. A babe does not know its griefs. It can only realize a sense of discomfort. Its complaints are often unmeaning, foolish, needless. In this way many of us live and die.
IV. A CONSIDERATE COMFORTER. What a charm there is in the mother's voice! So in the Divine voice of the Holy Spirit He comforts —
1. With the solicitude of a mother. How a mother loves, strives, labours, and sacrifices for her child.
2. With the forgiveness and consolation of a mother.
3. With the instruction and correction of a mother. A good and wise mother will instruct and correct.
4. With the constancy of a mother (Isaiah 49:14, 15). God loves to the end.
V. AN IMPORTANT MEANS. "Ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem." The promise is not without limitations. This expression means that the consolations of God come to those who are in His Church, who are in Christ Jesus. This is the place for us to rest in.
1. It is the place which He has appointed.
2. The place where He delights to dwell.
3. The place where His spirit is poured out.
4. The place where, by our own acts of devotion and hearing, we derive peace and rest.
Parallel VersesKJV: As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.