And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you…
I. THAT GOD DELIGHTETH NOT IN JUDGMENTS.
1. Because they imply the existence of evil.
2. Because suffering is connected with them.
3. Because they are the last means employed to humble the proud and impenitent.
II. THAT GOD PROVIDES FOR THE WELL-BEING OF MAN.
1. By removing every cause of fear.
2. By giving us perfect liberty of action.
III. THAT GOD EMPLOYS MEANS TO WIN THE CONFIDENCE OF MAN.
1. By giving us a ground for trust in Him.
2. By the comprehensiveness of the covenant
3. By giving us visible evidence of His faithfulness.
IV. GOD'S COVENANTS WILL NEVER BE BROKEN.
1. Because they are freely given.
2. Because there is power to perform them.
3. Because the honour of His government is pledged in their performance.
Parallel VersesKJV: And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: