The Evangelical Preacher
And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you…
I. LET US NOTICE THE CLOUDS WHICH FREQUENTLY COME OVER OUR PATH.
1. Whoever may claim exemption from afflictions personal and relative, it is not the Christian, for, "whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth."
2. Believers, in a peculiar manner, like their Lord, are exposed to temptations from the great adversary.
3. And frequently are they exposed to persecution from the world.
II. THERE IS A BOW TO BE SEEN IN THE CLOUDS. God's promises (Zechariah 13:9; James 1:12; Matthew 5:10; Isaiah 50:10).
III. THIS LEADS US TO INQUIRE WHAT THE BOW IN THE CLOUD BETOKENS.
1. Have not the clouds of affliction ever proved to be big with blessings in the experience of all true children of God?
2. Temptation has proved a blessing when it has been met with in the path of duty, and when it has been combated with the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.
3. Persecution, when it has come upon the Church, has always purified it, and in like manner its effect has been, in the case of all sincere Christians, to make them more earnest than ever in the Divine life.
4. Clouds of spiritual darkness are not permitted to come upon the believer in vain.
(The Evangelical Preacher.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: