New American Standard Bible
how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory?
King James Bible
How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
Darby Bible Translation
how shall not rather the ministry of the Spirit subsist in glory?
World English Bible
won't service of the Spirit be with much more glory?
Young's Literal Translation
how shall the ministration of the Spirit not be more in glory?
2 Corinthians 3:8 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
How shall not the ministration of the Spirit - This is an argument from the less to the greater. Several things in it are worthy of notice:
(1) The proper contrast to the "ministration of death" 2 Corinthians 3:7, would have been 'ministration of life.' But Paul chose rather to call it the 'ministration of the spirit;' as the source of life; or as conferring higher dignity on the gospel than to have called it simply the ministration of life.
(2) by the "Spirit" here is manifestly meant the Holy Spirit; and the whole phrase denotes the gospel, or the preaching of the gospel, by which eminently the Holy Spirit is imparted.
(3) it is the high honor of the gospel ministry, that it is the means by which the Holy Spirit is imparted to human beings. It is designed to secure the salvation of people by his agency; and it is through the ministry that the Holy Spirit is imparted, the heart renewed, and the soul saved. The work of the ministry is, therefore, the most important and honorable in which man can engage.
Be rather glorious -
(1) Because that of Moses tended to death; this to life.
(2) because that was engraved on stone; this is engraved on the heart.
(3) because that was the mere giving of a law; this is connected with the renovating influences of the Holy Spirit.
(4) because that was soon to pass away. All the magnificence of the scene was soon to vanish. But this is to remain. Its influence and effect are to he everlasting. It is to stretch into eternity; and its main glory is to be witnessed in souls renewed and saved; and amidst the splendors of heaven. "The work of the Spirit of God on the heart of a rational being, is much more important than any dead characters which can be engraved on insensible stones" - Doddridge.
Liberty is the heirloom of all the sons and daughters of Adam. But where do you find liberty unaccompanied by religion? True it is that all men have a right to liberty, but it is equally true that you do not meet it in any country save where you find the Spirit of the Lord. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." Thank God, this is a free country. This is a land where I can breathe the air and say it is untainted by the groan of a single slave; my lungs receive it, and I know there has …
Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 1: 1855
How to Become Like Christ.
The Two Covenants: the Transition
The Image of God in Man.
2 Corinthians 3:7
But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was,
2 Corinthians 3:9
For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory.
Jump to PreviousAttended Dispensation Fail Far Glorious Glory Greater Ministration Ministry Operation Rather Service Spirit Splendor Subsist Won't
Jump to NextAttended Dispensation Fail Far Glorious Glory Greater Ministration Ministry Operation Rather Service Spirit Splendor Subsist Won't
Links2 Corinthians 3:8 NIV
2 Corinthians 3:8 NLT
2 Corinthians 3:8 ESV
2 Corinthians 3:8 NASB
2 Corinthians 3:8 KJV
2 Corinthians 3:8 Bible Apps
2 Corinthians 3:8 Biblia Paralela
2 Corinthians 3:8 Chinese Bible
2 Corinthians 3:8 French Bible
2 Corinthians 3:8 German Bible
2 Corinthians 3:8 Commentaries