New American Standard Bible
Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "You are a God who sees"; for she said, "Have I even remained alive here after seeing Him?"
King James Bible
And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?
Darby Bible Translation
And she called the name of Jehovah who spoke to her, Thou art the �God who reveals himself, for she said, Also here have I seen after he has revealed himself.
World English Bible
She called the name of Yahweh who spoke to her, "You are a God who sees," for she said, "Have I even stayed alive after seeing him?"
Young's Literal Translation
And she calleth the name of Jehovah who is speaking unto her, 'Thou art, O God, my beholder;' for she said, 'Even here have I looked behind my beholder?'
Genesis 16:13 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
God of my vision - (El-roi). Here we have the same divine name as in Ishmael. "Have I even still seen" - continued to live and see the sun after having seen God? Beer-lahai-roi, the well of vision (of God) to the living. To see God and live was an issue contrary to expectation Exodus 33:20. The well is between Kadesh and Bered. The site of the latter has not been ascertained. R. Jonathan gives חוּצא chelûtsā' the Ἔλουσα elousa of Ptolemy, now el-Khulasa, about twelve miles south of Beersheba. Rowland finds the well at Moyle or Muweilah, still further south in the same direction. The birth of Ishmael is in the sixteenth year after Abram's call, and the eleventh after his arrival in Kenaan.
- The Sealing of the Covenant
1. שׁדי shaday, Shaddai, "Irresistible, able to destroy, and by inference to make, Almighty." שׁדד shādad "be strong, destroy." This name is found six times in Genesis, and thirty-one times in Job.
5. אברהם 'abrâhām, Abraham, from אברם 'abrām "high-father," and הם hām the radical part of המין hāmôn a "multitude," is obtained by a euphonic abbreviation אברהם 'abrâhām, "father of a multitude." The root רהם rhm is a variation of רום rvm; affording, however, a link of connection in sound and sense with the root המה hāmâh "hum, be tumultuous," from which comes המון hāmôn a "multitude." The confluence of the biliterals רם rm and הם hm yields the triliteral רהם rhm occurring in Arabic, though not elsewhere in our written Hebrew. The law of formation here noticed is interesting and real, though רהם rhm may not have been an actual result of it.
11. נמלתם nemaltem formed from נמל nāmal, "circumcised." מוּל mûl "cut, circumcise."
15. שׂרה śārâh Sarah, "princess."
19. יצהק yı̂tschāq Jitschaq, "laughing."
The present form of the covenant is not identical with the former. That referred chiefly to the land; this chiefly to the seed. That dwelt much on temporal things; this rises to spiritual things. That specifies only Abram; this mentions both Abram and Sarai. At the former period God formally entered into covenant with Abram ברית כרת kārat berı̂yt, Genesis 15:18); at present he takes the first step in the fufillment of the covenant ברית נתן nātan berı̂yt, seals it with a token and a perpetual ordinance, and gives Abram and Sarai new names in token of a new nature. There was an interval of fourteen years at least between the ratification of the covenant and the preparation for the fulfillment of its conditions, during which Abraham's faith had time to unfold.
Library"Thou, God, Seest Me. " --Gen. xvi. 13
"Thou, God, seest me."--Gen. xvi. 13. O God, unseen, but not unknown, Thine eye is ever fix'd on me; I dwell beneath Thy secret throne, Encompass'd by Thy Deity. Throughout this universe of space, To nothing am I long allied, For flight of time and change of place, My strongest, dearest bonds divide. Parents I had, but where are they? Friends whom I knew, I know no more; Companions, once that cheer'd my way, Have dropp'd behind or gone before. Now I am one amidst a crowd Of life and action hurrying …
James Montgomery—Sacred Poems and Hymns
Appendix ii. Philo of Alexandria and Rabbinic Theology.
So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, "I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved."
Yet He did not stretch out His hand against the nobles of the sons of Israel; and they saw God, and they ate and drank.
For the choir director. A Psalm of David. O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
Jump to PreviousAlive Really Revealed Reveals Seest Talking Vision Waste
Jump to NextAlive Really Revealed Reveals Seest Talking Vision Waste
LinksGenesis 16:13 NIV
Genesis 16:13 NLT
Genesis 16:13 ESV
Genesis 16:13 NASB
Genesis 16:13 KJV
Genesis 16:13 Bible Apps
Genesis 16:13 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 16:13 Chinese Bible
Genesis 16:13 French Bible
Genesis 16:13 German Bible
Genesis 16:13 Commentaries