New American Standard Bible
"Also the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, To minister to Him, and to love the name of the LORD, To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning the sabbath And holds fast My covenant;
King James Bible
Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
Darby Bible Translation
Also the sons of the alien, that join themselves to Jehovah, to minister unto him and to love the name of Jehovah, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from profaning it, and holdeth fast to my covenant;
World English Bible
Also the foreigners who join themselves to Yahweh, to minister to him, and to love the name of Yahweh, to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath from profaning it, and holds fast my covenant;
Young's Literal Translation
And sons of the stranger, who are joined to Jehovah, To serve Him, and to love the name of Jehovah, To be to Him for servants, Every keeper of the sabbath from polluting it, And those keeping hold on My covenant.
Isaiah 56:6 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Also the sons of the stranger - (see the note at Isaiah 56:3). The conditions on which they should be admitted to the same privileges are specified, and are the following:
1. They were to 'join themselves to the Lord' (see the note at Isaiah 56:3).
2. This should be with a purpose to 'serve him.' Their aim and design should be to keep his commandments and to do his will.
3. They were to 'love the name of the Lord;' that is, to love Yahweh himself, for the 'name' of the Lord is often used as denoting the Lord himself.
4. They were to keep his sabbaths (see the notes at Isaiah 56:4).
5. They were to take hold of his covenant (see the notes at Isaiah 56:4).
On these conditions the sons of the foreigner were to be admitted to all the privileges of the children of God, and to be united with all who love and serve him.
LibraryNor Indeed Hath the Holy Spirit Failed to Speak what Should be of Open...
25. Nor indeed hath the Holy Spirit failed to speak what should be of open and unshaken avail against these men, most shamelessly and madly obstinate, and should repel their assault, as of wild beasts, from His sheep-fold, by defences that may not be stormed. For, after He had said concerning eunuchs, "I will give unto them in My house and in My wall a named place, much better than of sons and daughters;"  lest any too carnal should think that there was any thing temporal to be hoped for in …
St. Augustine—Of Holy Virginity.
Lastly, Let us Hear the Lord Himself Delivering Most Plain Judgment on this Matter. ...
Barren Fig-Tree. Temple Cleansed.
Manner of Covenanting.
When the LORD will have compassion on Jacob and again choose Israel, and settle them in their own land, then strangers will join them and attach themselves to the house of Jacob.
"How blessed is the man who does this, And the son of man who takes hold of it; Who keeps from profaning the sabbath, And keeps his hand from doing any evil."
Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say, "The LORD will surely separate me from His people." Nor let the eunuch say, "Behold, I am a dry tree."
For thus says the LORD, "To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant,
"Foreigners will build up your walls, And their kings will minister to you; For in My wrath I struck you, And in My favor I have had compassion on you.
Strangers will stand and pasture your flocks, And foreigners will be your farmers and your vinedressers.
But you will be called the priests of the LORD; You will be spoken of as ministers of our God. You will eat the wealth of nations, And in their riches you will boast.
Jump to PreviousAgreement Aliens Bind Country Covenant Desecrating Fast Foreigners Hold Holds Holy Honour Join Keepeth Keeps Love Minister Polluting Profane Profaning Sabbath Servants Serve Strange Stranger Themselves Worship
Jump to NextAgreement Aliens Bind Country Covenant Desecrating Fast Foreigners Hold Holds Holy Honour Join Keepeth Keeps Love Minister Polluting Profane Profaning Sabbath Servants Serve Strange Stranger Themselves Worship
LinksIsaiah 56:6 NIV
Isaiah 56:6 NLT
Isaiah 56:6 ESV
Isaiah 56:6 NASB
Isaiah 56:6 KJV
Isaiah 56:6 Bible Apps
Isaiah 56:6 Biblia Paralela
Isaiah 56:6 Chinese Bible
Isaiah 56:6 French Bible
Isaiah 56:6 German Bible
Isaiah 56:6 Commentaries