New American Standard Bible
"Or else, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace.
King James Bible
Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
Darby Bible Translation
and if not, while he is yet far off, having sent an embassy, he asks for terms of peace.
World English Bible
Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an envoy, and asks for conditions of peace.
Young's Literal Translation
and if not so -- he being yet a long way off -- having sent an embassy, he doth ask the things for peace.
Luke 14:32 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Or else - If he is not able. If he is satisfied that he would be defeated.
An ambassage - Persons to treat with an enemy and propose terms of peace. These expressions are not to be improperly pressed in order to obtain from them a spiritual signification. The general scope of the parable is to be learned from the connection, and may be thus expressed:
1. Every man who becomes a follower of Jesus should calmly and deliberately look at all the consequences of such an act and be prepared to meet them.
2. Men in other things act with prudence and forethought. They do not begin to build without a reasonable prospect of being able to finish. They do not go to war when there is every prospect that they will be defeated.
3. Religion is a work of soberness, of thought, of calm and fixed purpose, and no man can properly enter on it who does not resolve by the grace of God to fulfil all its requirements and make it the business of his life.
4. We are to expect difficulties in religion. It will cost us the mortification of our sins, and a life of self-denial, and a conflict with our lusts, and the enmity and ridicule of the world. Perhaps it may cost us our reputation, or possibly our lives and liberties, and all that is dear to us; but we must cheerfully undertake all this, and be prepared for it all.
5. If we do not deliberately resolve to leave all things, to suffer all things that may be laid on us, and to persevere to the end of our days in the service of Christ, we cannot be his disciples. No man can be a Christian who, when he makes a profession, is resolved after a while to turn back to the world; nor can he be a true Christian if he "expects that he will" turn back. If he comes not with a "full" purpose "always" to be a Christian; if he means not to persevere, by the grace of God, through all hazards, and trials, and temptations; if he is not willing to bear his cross, and meet contempt, and poverty, and pain, and death, without turning back, he "cannot" be a disciple of the Lord Jesus.
LibraryThe Rash Builder
Which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?'--LUKE xiv. 28. Christ sought for no recruits under false pretences, but rather discouraged than stimulated light-hearted adhesion. His constant effort was to sift the crowds that gathered round Him. So here great multitudes are following Him, and how does He welcome them? Does He lay Himself out to attract them? Luke tells us that He turned and faced the following …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions Of Holy Scripture
On the Words of the Gospel, Luke xiv. 16, "A Certain Man Made a Great Supper," Etc.
The Writings of St. Augustin.
Epistle xxxiii. To Mauricius Augustus.
"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
"Or what king, when he sets out to meet another king in battle, will not first sit down and consider whether he is strong enough with ten thousand men to encounter the one coming against him with twenty thousand?
"So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.
"But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, 'We do not want this man to reign over us.'
Jump to PreviousAble Ambassage Conditions Delegation Desireth Distance Embassy Envoy Far Great Messengers Peace Representatives Requesting Sends Sues Terms Way
Jump to NextAble Ambassage Conditions Delegation Desireth Distance Embassy Envoy Far Great Messengers Peace Representatives Requesting Sends Sues Terms Way
LinksLuke 14:32 NIV
Luke 14:32 NLT
Luke 14:32 ESV
Luke 14:32 NASB
Luke 14:32 KJV
Luke 14:32 Bible Apps
Luke 14:32 Biblia Paralela
Luke 14:32 Chinese Bible
Luke 14:32 French Bible
Luke 14:32 German Bible
Luke 14:32 Commentaries