New American Standard Bible
For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH."
King James Bible
For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Darby Bible Translation
For the scripture says to Pharaoh, For this very thing I have raised thee up from amongst men, that I might thus shew in thee my power, and so that my name should be declared in all the earth.
World English Bible
For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I caused you to be raised up, that I might show in you my power, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."
Young's Literal Translation
for the Writing saith to Pharaoh -- 'For this very thing I did raise thee up, that I might shew in thee My power, and that My name might be declared in all the land;'
Romans 9:17 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
For the Scripture saith - Exodus 9:16. That is, God saith to Pharaoh in the Scriptures; Galatians 3:8, Galatians 3:22. This passage is designed to illustrate the doctrine that God shows mercy according to his sovereign pleasure by a reference to one of the most extraordinary cases of hardness of heart which has ever occurred. The design is to show that God has a right to pass by those to whom he does not choose to show mercy; and to place them in circumstances where they shall develope their true character, and where in fait they shall become more hardened and be destroyed; Romans 9:18.
Unto Pharaoh - The haughty and oppressive king of Egypt; thus showing that the most mighty and wicked monarchs are at his control; compare Isaiah 10:5-7.
For this same purpose - For the design, or with the intent that is immediately specified. This was the leading purpose or design of his sustaining him.
Have I raised thee up - Margin in Exodus 9:16, "made thee stand," that is, sustained thee. The Greek word used by the apostle (ἐξήγειρα exēgeira), means properly, I "have excited, roused, or stirred" thee up. But it may also have the meaning, "I have sustained or supported thee." That is, I have kept thee from death; I have preserved thee from ruin; I have ministered strength to thee, so that thy full character has been developed. It does not mean that God had infused into his mind any positive evil, or that by any direct influence he had excited any evil feelings, but that he had kept him in circumstances which were suited to develope his true character. The meaning of the word and the truth of the case may be expressed in the following particulars:
(1) God meant to accomplish some great purposes by his existence and conduct.
(2) he kept him, or sustained him, with reference to that.
(3) he had control over the haughty and wicked monarch. He could take his life, or he could continue him on earth. As he had control over all things that could affect the pride, the feelings, and the happiness of the monarch, so he had control over the monarch himself.
(4) "he placed him in circumstances just suited to develope his character." He kept him amidst those circumstances until his character was fully developed.
(5) he did not exert a positive evil influence on the mind of Pharaoh; for,
(6) In all this the monarch acted freely. He did what he chose to do. He pursued his own course. He was voluntary in his schemes of oppressing the Israelites. He was voluntary in his opposition to God. He was voluntary when he pursued the Israelites to the Red sea. In all his doings he acted as he chose to do, and with a determined "choice of evil," from which neither warning nor judgment would turn him away. Thus, he is said to have hardened his own heart; Exodus 8:15.
(7) neither Pharaoh nor any sinner can justly blame God for placing them in circumstances where they shall develope their own character, and show what they are. It is not the fault of God, but their own fault. The sinner is not compelled to sin; nor is God under obligation to save him contrary to the prevalent desires and wishes of the sinner himself.
My power in thee - Or by means of thee. By the judgments exerted in delivering an entire oppressed people from thy grasp. God's most signal acts of power were thus shown in consequence of his disobedience and rebellion.
My name - The name of Yahweh, as the only true God, and the deliverer of his people.
Throughout all the earth - Or throughout all the land of Egypt; Note, Luke 2:1. We may learn here,
LibraryGod's Will and Man's Will
The great controversy which for many ages has divided the Christian Church has hinged upon the difficult question of "the will." I need not say of that conflict that it has done much mischief to the Christian Church, undoubtedly it has; but I will rather say, that it has been fraught with incalculable usefulness; for it has thrust forward before the minds of Christians, precious truths, which but for it, might have been kept in the shade. I believe that the two great doctrines of human responsibility …
Charles Haddon Spurgeon—Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 8: 1863
The Coming of the Called.
Whence Also the Just of Old, Before the Incarnation of the Word...
The Sum and Substance of all Theology
"But, indeed, for this reason I have allowed you to remain, in order to show you My power and in order to proclaim My name through all the earth.
For the wrath of man shall praise You; With a remnant of wrath You will gird Yourself.
Well then, where are your wise men? Please let them tell you, And let them understand what the LORD of hosts Has purposed against Egypt.
Jump to PreviousAbroad Amongst Caused Declared Earth Far High Holy Lifted Manifest Pharaoh Power Proclaimed Published Purpose Raise Raised Scripture Shew Show Showing Throughout Whole Writings
Jump to NextAbroad Amongst Caused Declared Earth Far High Holy Lifted Manifest Pharaoh Power Proclaimed Published Purpose Raise Raised Scripture Shew Show Showing Throughout Whole Writings
LinksRomans 9:17 NIV
Romans 9:17 NLT
Romans 9:17 ESV
Romans 9:17 NASB
Romans 9:17 KJV
Romans 9:17 Bible Apps
Romans 9:17 Biblia Paralela
Romans 9:17 Chinese Bible
Romans 9:17 French Bible
Romans 9:17 German Bible
Romans 9:17 Commentaries