New International Version
Then she set it before Saul and his men, and they ate. That same night they got up and left.
King James Bible
And she brought it before Saul, and before his servants; and they did eat. Then they rose up, and went away that night.
Darby Bible Translation
and she brought it near before Saul, and before his servants, and they ate. And they rose up and went away that night.
World English Bible
She brought it before Saul, and before his servants; and they ate. Then they rose up, and went away that night.
Young's Literal Translation
and bringeth nigh before Saul, and before his servants, and they eat, and rise, and go on, during that night.
1 Samuel 28:25 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
They rose up, and went away that night - The transactions of this chapter occupy one night only.
1. Saul came by night to En-dor, 1 Samuel 28:8.
2. He consulted the woman, and had his conference with Samuel the same night; for no time whatever appears to have been lost after his arrival at En-dor.
3. He was overcome by the heavy tidings which he heard; and which for a time appear to have deprived him of all power.
4. The woman kills a calf; dresses a part; makes and bakes bread; and Saul and his servants eat. And,
5. They rose and went away that night, 1 Samuel 28:25. The next day, in all probability, the battle happened in which Israel was defeated, and Saul and his sons lost their lives.
There is a considerable diversity of opinion, both among learned and pious men, relative to the subject mentioned in this chapter, that of raising Samuel from the dead. Some deny the possibility of the thing, and say that it was the devil that personified Samuel; and others, that the whole was the imposition of this cunning woman, and that there was no supernatural agency in the business. This is not a proper place to argue the point. I have given my opinion in the notes. I may sum up in a few particulars.
1. I believe there is a supernatural and spiritual world, in which Human spirits, both good and bad, live in a state of consciousness.
2. I believe there is an invisible world, in which various orders of spirits, not human, live and act.
3. I believe that any of these spirits may, according to the order of God, in the laws of their place of residence, have intercourse with this world, and become visible to mortals.
4. I believe there is a possibility, by arts not strictly good, to evoke and have intercourse with spirits, not Human; and to employ, in a certain limited way, their power and influence.
5. I believe that the woman of En-dor had no power over Samuel; and that no incantation can avail over any departed saint of God, nor indeed over any human disembodied spirit.
6. I believe Samuel did actually appear to Saul; and that he was sent by the especial mercy of God to warn this infatuated king of his approaching death, that he might have an opportunity to make his peace with his Maker.
7. I believe that the woman found, from the appearances, that her real or pretended charms had no effect; and that what now took place came from a totally different disposition of things from those with which she was conversant.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibrarySo Then we must Confess that the Dead Indeed do not Know what Is...
18. So then we must confess that the dead indeed do not know what is doing here, but while it is in doing here: afterwards, however, they hear it from those who from hence go to them at their death; not indeed every thing, but what things those are allowed to make known who are suffered also to remember these things; and which it is meet for those to hear, whom they inform of the same. It may be also, that from the Angels, who are present in the things which are doing here, the dead do hear somewhat, …
St. Augustine—On Care to Be Had for the Dead.
The Covenant of Grace
1 Samuel 28:24
The woman had a fattened calf at the house, which she butchered at once. She took some flour, kneaded it and baked bread without yeast.
1 Samuel 29:1
The Philistines gathered all their forces at Aphek, and Israel camped by the spring in Jezreel.
Jump to PreviousAte Eat Meal Night Rise Rose Saul Servants
Jump to NextAte Eat Meal Night Rise Rose Saul Servants
Links1 Samuel 28:25 NIV
1 Samuel 28:25 NLT
1 Samuel 28:25 ESV
1 Samuel 28:25 NASB
1 Samuel 28:25 KJV
1 Samuel 28:25 Bible Apps
1 Samuel 28:25 Biblia Paralela
1 Samuel 28:25 Chinese Bible
1 Samuel 28:25 French Bible
1 Samuel 28:25 German Bible
1 Samuel 28:25 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.