New International Version
in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last.
King James Bible
Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.
Darby Bible Translation
forbidding us to speak to the nations that they may be saved, that they may fill up their sins always: but wrath has come upon them to the uttermost.
World English Bible
forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they may be saved; to fill up their sins always. But wrath has come on them to the uttermost.
Young's Literal Translation
forbidding us to speak to the nations that they might be saved, to fill up their sins always, but the anger did come upon them -- to the end!
1 Thessalonians 2:16 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Who hath killed the Lord Jesus, etc. - What a finished but just character is this of the Jews!
1. They slew the Lord Jesus, through the most unprincipled and fell malice.
2. They killed their own prophets; there was no time in which the seed of the serpent did not hate and oppose spiritual things, they slew even their own prophets who declared to them the will of God.
3. They persecuted the apostles; showing the same spirit of enmity to the Gospel which they had shown to the law.
4. They did not please God, nor seek to please him; though they pretended that their opposition to the Gospel was through their zeal for God's glory, they were hypocrites of the worst kind.
5. They were contrary to all men; they hated the whole human race, and judged and wished them to perdition.
6. They forbade the apostles to preach to the Gentiles, lest they should be saved; this was an inveteracy of malice completely superhuman; they persecuted the body to death, and the soul to damnation! They were afraid that the Gentiles should get their souls saved if the Gospel was preached to them!
7. They filled up their sins always; they had no mere purposes or outlines of iniquity, all were filled up; every evil purpose was followed, as far as possible, with a wicked act! Is it any wonder, therefore, that wrath should come upon them to the uttermost? It is to be reckoned among the highest mercies of God that the whole nation was not pursued by the Divine justice to utter and final extinction.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
THE WORD OF GOD "When ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of man, but as it is in truth, the word of God." (1 Thessalonians 2:13.) THE Apostle here testifies that he believes himself to be the bearer of a revelation direct from God; that the words he speaks and the words he writes are not the words of man, but the Word of God, warm with his breath, filled with his thoughts, and stamped with his will. In this same epistle he writes: "For this we say unto …
I. M. Haldeman—Christ, Christianity and the Bible
The Calling of the Regenerate:
In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."
"In the latter part of their reign, when rebels have become completely wicked, a fierce-looking king, a master of intrigue, will arise.
Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!
After many days had gone by, there was a conspiracy among the Jews to kill him,
When the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy. They began to contradict what Paul was saying and heaped abuse on him.
But the Jewish leaders incited the God-fearing women of high standing and the leading men of the city. They stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region.
But the Jews who refused to believe stirred up the other Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers.
Jump to PreviousAlway Always Anger Complete Continually Effort Fill Find Forbidding Form Gentiles God's Heap Kept Last Measure Overtaken Preaching Prevent Salvation Saved Sins Speak Try Utmost Uttermost Way Wrath
Jump to NextAlway Always Anger Complete Continually Effort Fill Find Forbidding Form Gentiles God's Heap Kept Last Measure Overtaken Preaching Prevent Salvation Saved Sins Speak Try Utmost Uttermost Way Wrath
Links1 Thessalonians 2:16 NIV
1 Thessalonians 2:16 NLT
1 Thessalonians 2:16 ESV
1 Thessalonians 2:16 NASB
1 Thessalonians 2:16 KJV
1 Thessalonians 2:16 Bible Apps
1 Thessalonians 2:16 Biblia Paralela
1 Thessalonians 2:16 Chinese Bible
1 Thessalonians 2:16 French Bible
1 Thessalonians 2:16 German Bible
1 Thessalonians 2:16 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.