New International Version
who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and also drove us out. They displease God and are hostile to everyone
King James Bible
Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:
Darby Bible Translation
who have both slain the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and have driven us out by persecution, and do not please God, and [are] against all men,
World English Bible
who killed both the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, and drove us out, and didn't please God, and are contrary to all men;
Young's Literal Translation
who did both put to death the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, and did persecute us, and God they are not pleasing, and to all men are contrary,
1 Thessalonians 2:15 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Who hath killed the Lord Jesus, etc. - What a finished but just character is this of the Jews!
1. They slew the Lord Jesus, through the most unprincipled and fell malice.
2. They killed their own prophets; there was no time in which the seed of the serpent did not hate and oppose spiritual things, they slew even their own prophets who declared to them the will of God.
3. They persecuted the apostles; showing the same spirit of enmity to the Gospel which they had shown to the law.
4. They did not please God, nor seek to please him; though they pretended that their opposition to the Gospel was through their zeal for God's glory, they were hypocrites of the worst kind.
5. They were contrary to all men; they hated the whole human race, and judged and wished them to perdition.
6. They forbade the apostles to preach to the Gentiles, lest they should be saved; this was an inveteracy of malice completely superhuman; they persecuted the body to death, and the soul to damnation! They were afraid that the Gentiles should get their souls saved if the Gospel was preached to them!
7. They filled up their sins always; they had no mere purposes or outlines of iniquity, all were filled up; every evil purpose was followed, as far as possible, with a wicked act! Is it any wonder, therefore, that wrath should come upon them to the uttermost? It is to be reckoned among the highest mercies of God that the whole nation was not pursued by the Divine justice to utter and final extinction.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
persecuted us. or, chased us out.
THE WORD OF GOD "When ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of man, but as it is in truth, the word of God." (1 Thessalonians 2:13.) THE Apostle here testifies that he believes himself to be the bearer of a revelation direct from God; that the words he speaks and the words he writes are not the words of man, but the Word of God, warm with his breath, filled with his thoughts, and stamped with his will. In this same epistle he writes: "For this we say unto …
I. M. Haldeman—Christ, Christianity and the Bible
The Calling of the Regenerate:
"In vain I punished your people; they did not respond to correction. Your sword has devoured your prophets like a ravenous lion.
Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him;
This man was handed over to you by God's deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.
Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him--
2 Corinthians 11:26
I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.
Jump to PreviousContrary Death Displease Displeasing Driving Drove Enemies Hostile Jesus Jewish Killed Mankind Midst Oppose Persecute Persecuted Persecutors Please Pleased Pleasing Prophets Slain Unpleasing Violently
Jump to NextContrary Death Displease Displeasing Driving Drove Enemies Hostile Jesus Jewish Killed Mankind Midst Oppose Persecute Persecuted Persecutors Please Pleased Pleasing Prophets Slain Unpleasing Violently
Links1 Thessalonians 2:15 NIV
1 Thessalonians 2:15 NLT
1 Thessalonians 2:15 ESV
1 Thessalonians 2:15 NASB
1 Thessalonians 2:15 KJV
1 Thessalonians 2:15 Bible Apps
1 Thessalonians 2:15 Biblia Paralela
1 Thessalonians 2:15 Chinese Bible
1 Thessalonians 2:15 French Bible
1 Thessalonians 2:15 German Bible
1 Thessalonians 2:15 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.