New International Version
to confirm you this day as his people, that he may be your God as he promised you and as he swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
King James Bible
That he may establish thee to day for a people unto himself, and that he may be unto thee a God, as he hath said unto thee, and as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
Darby Bible Translation
that he may establish thee this day for a people unto himself, and [that] he may be to thee a God, as he hath said unto thee, and as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
World English Bible
that he may establish you this day to himself for a people, and that he may be to you a God, as he spoke to you, and as he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
Young's Literal Translation
in order to establish thee to-day to Him for a people, and He Himself is thy God, as He hath spoken to thee, and as He hath sworn to thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
Deuteronomy 29:13 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
That thou shouldest enter - לעבר leaber, to pass through, that is, between the separated parts of the covenant sacrifice. See Genesis 15:18 (note).
And into his oath - Thus we find that in a covenant were these seven particulars:
1. The parties about to contract were considered as being hitherto separated.
2. They now agree to enter into a state of close and permanent amity.
3. They meet together in a solemn manner for this purpose.
4. A sacrifice is offered to God on the occasion, for the whole is a religious act.
5. The victim is separated exactly into two equal parts, the separation being in the direction of the spine; and those parts are laid opposite to each other, sufficient room being allowed for the contracting parties to pass between them.
6. The contracting parties meet in the victim, and the conditions of the covenant by which they are to be mutually bound are recited.
7. An oath is taken by these parties that they shall punctually and faithfully perform their respective conditions, and thus the covenant is made and ratified. See Jeremiah 34:18, Jeremiah 34:19, and the notes on Genesis 6:18 (note); Genesis 15:18 (note); Exodus 29:45 (note); Leviticus 26 (note).
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
he may be
It is here proposed to show, that every incumbent duty ought, in suitable circumstances, to be engaged to in the exercise of Covenanting. The law and covenant of God are co-extensive; and what is enjoined in the one is confirmed in the other. The proposals of that Covenant include its promises and its duties. The former are made and fulfilled by its glorious Originator; the latter are enjoined and obligatory on man. The duties of that Covenant are God's law; and the demands of the law are all made …
John Cunningham—The Ordinance of Covenanting
Promises and Threatenings
Palestine Eighteen Centuries Ago
The Holy Spirit as a Teacher.
I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.
The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God."
I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.
And the LORD has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised, and that you are to keep all his commands.
You are standing here in order to enter into a covenant with the LORD your God, a covenant the LORD is making with you this day and sealing with an oath,
Jump to PreviousAbraham Confirm Establish Isaac Jacob Oath Order Promised Sware Swore Sworn Today To-Day
Jump to NextAbraham Confirm Establish Isaac Jacob Oath Order Promised Sware Swore Sworn Today To-Day
LinksDeuteronomy 29:13 NIV
Deuteronomy 29:13 NLT
Deuteronomy 29:13 ESV
Deuteronomy 29:13 NASB
Deuteronomy 29:13 KJV
Deuteronomy 29:13 Bible Apps
Deuteronomy 29:13 Biblia Paralela
Deuteronomy 29:13 Chinese Bible
Deuteronomy 29:13 French Bible
Deuteronomy 29:13 German Bible
Deuteronomy 29:13 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.