New International Version
You are standing here in order to enter into a covenant with the LORD your God, a covenant the LORD is making with you this day and sealing with an oath,
King James Bible
That thou shouldest enter into covenant with the LORD thy God, and into his oath, which the LORD thy God maketh with thee this day:
Darby Bible Translation
that thou mayest enter into the covenant of Jehovah thy God, and into his oath, which Jehovah thy God maketh with thee this day;
World English Bible
that you may enter into the covenant of Yahweh your God, and into his oath, which Yahweh your God makes with you this day;
Young's Literal Translation
for thy passing over into the covenant of Jehovah thy God, and into His oath which Jehovah thy God is making with thee to-day;
Deuteronomy 29:12 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
That thou shouldest enter - לעבר leaber, to pass through, that is, between the separated parts of the covenant sacrifice. See Genesis 15:18 (note).
And into his oath - Thus we find that in a covenant were these seven particulars:
1. The parties about to contract were considered as being hitherto separated.
2. They now agree to enter into a state of close and permanent amity.
3. They meet together in a solemn manner for this purpose.
4. A sacrifice is offered to God on the occasion, for the whole is a religious act.
5. The victim is separated exactly into two equal parts, the separation being in the direction of the spine; and those parts are laid opposite to each other, sufficient room being allowed for the contracting parties to pass between them.
6. The contracting parties meet in the victim, and the conditions of the covenant by which they are to be mutually bound are recited.
7. An oath is taken by these parties that they shall punctually and faithfully perform their respective conditions, and thus the covenant is made and ratified. See Jeremiah 34:18, Jeremiah 34:19, and the notes on Genesis 6:18 (note); Genesis 15:18 (note); Exodus 29:45 (note); Leviticus 26 (note).
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
enter [heb] pass This is an allusion to the solemn ceremony used by several ancient nations, when they entered into a covenant with each other. The victims, slain as a sacrifice on this occasion, were divided, and and parts laid asunder: the contracting parties then passed between them, imprecating, as a cursed on those who violated the sacred compact, that they might in like manner be cut asunder.
Cyril, in his work against Julian, show that passing between the divided parts of a victim was used also among the Chaldeans and other people.
into his oath
It is here proposed to show, that every incumbent duty ought, in suitable circumstances, to be engaged to in the exercise of Covenanting. The law and covenant of God are co-extensive; and what is enjoined in the one is confirmed in the other. The proposals of that Covenant include its promises and its duties. The former are made and fulfilled by its glorious Originator; the latter are enjoined and obligatory on man. The duties of that Covenant are God's law; and the demands of the law are all made …
John Cunningham—The Ordinance of Covenanting
Promises and Threatenings
Palestine Eighteen Centuries Ago
The Holy Spirit as a Teacher.
together with your children and your wives, and the foreigners living in your camps who chop your wood and carry your water.
to confirm you this day as his people, that he may be your God as he promised you and as he swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
"'And you took your sons and daughters whom you bore to me and sacrificed them as food to the idols. Was your prostitution not enough?
Jump to PreviousAgreement Covenant Enter Makes Maketh Making Mayest Oath Order Part Passing Purpose Sealing Shouldest Shouldst Standing Sworn Today To-Day
Jump to NextAgreement Covenant Enter Makes Maketh Making Mayest Oath Order Part Passing Purpose Sealing Shouldest Shouldst Standing Sworn Today To-Day
LinksDeuteronomy 29:12 NIV
Deuteronomy 29:12 NLT
Deuteronomy 29:12 ESV
Deuteronomy 29:12 NASB
Deuteronomy 29:12 KJV
Deuteronomy 29:12 Bible Apps
Deuteronomy 29:12 Biblia Paralela
Deuteronomy 29:12 Chinese Bible
Deuteronomy 29:12 French Bible
Deuteronomy 29:12 German Bible
Deuteronomy 29:12 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.