New International Version
It will be the lowliest of kingdoms and will never again exalt itself above the other nations. I will make it so weak that it will never again rule over the nations.
King James Bible
It shall be the basest of the kingdoms; neither shall it exalt itself any more above the nations: for I will diminish them, that they shall no more rule over the nations.
Darby Bible Translation
It shall be the basest of kingdoms; neither shall it exalt itself any more above the nations; and I will diminish them, so that they shall no more rule over the nations.
World English Bible
It shall be the base of the kingdoms; neither shall it any more lift itself up above the nations: and I will diminish them, that they shall no more rule over the nations.
Young's Literal Translation
Of the kingdoms it is lowest, And it lifteth not up itself any more above the nations, And I have made them few, So as not to rule among nations.
Ezekiel 29:15 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Into the land of Pathros - Supposed to mean the Delta, a country included between the branches of the Nile, called Δ delta, from its being in the form of the Greek letter of that name. It may mean the Pathrusim, in Upper Egypt, near to the Thebaid. This is most likely.
Shall be there a base kingdom - That is, it shall continue to be tributary. It is upwards of two thousand years since this prophecy was delivered, and it has been uninterruptedly fulfilling to the present hour.
1. Egypt became tributary to the Babylonians under Amasis.
2. After the ruin of the Babylonish empire, it became subject to the Persians.
3. After the Persians, it came into the hands of the Macedonians.
4. After the Macedonians it fell into the hands of the Romans.
5. After the division of the Roman empire it was subdued by the Saracens.
6. About a.d. 1250, it came into the hands of the Mameluke slaves.
7. Selim, the ninth emperor of the Turks, conquered the Mamelukes, a.d. 1517, and annexed Egypt to the Ottoman empire, of which it still continues to be a province, governed by a pacha and twenty-four beys, who are always advanced from servitude to the administration of public affairs. So true is it that Egypt, once so glorious, is the basest of kingdoms. See Newton on the prophecies.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryBut Perhaps Some one is Alarmed at Hearing us Discourse of the Death of Him
16. But perhaps some one is alarmed at hearing us discourse of the death of Him of Whom, a short while since, we said that He is everlasting with God the Father, and that He was begotten of the Father's substance, and is one with God the Father, in dominion, majesty, and eternity. But be not alarmed, O faithful hearer. Presently thou wilt see Him of Whose death thou hearest once more immortal; for the death to which He submits is about to spoil death. For the object of that mystery of the Incarnation …
Various—Life and Works of Rufinus with Jerome's Apology Against Rufinus.
Then their numbers decreased, and they were humbled by oppression, calamity and sorrow;
and it sprouted and became a low, spreading vine. Its branches turned toward him, but its roots remained under it. So it became a vine and produced branches and put out leafy boughs.
so that the kingdom would be brought low, unable to rise again, surviving only by keeping his treaty.
"'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "'I will destroy the idols and put an end to the images in Memphis. No longer will there be a prince in Egypt, and I will spread fear throughout the land.
"Son of man, say to Pharaoh king of Egypt and to his hordes: "'Who can be compared with you in majesty?
"Son of man, take up a lament concerning Pharaoh king of Egypt and say to him: "'You are like a lion among the nations; you are like a monster in the seas thrashing about in your streams, churning the water with your feet and muddying the streams.
Are you better than Thebes, situated on the Nile, with water around her? The river was her defense, the waters her wall.
Jump to PreviousBase Basest Diminish Exalt Few Itself Kingdoms Lift Lowly Nations Rule Small Weak
Jump to NextBase Basest Diminish Exalt Few Itself Kingdoms Lift Lowly Nations Rule Small Weak
LinksEzekiel 29:15 NIV
Ezekiel 29:15 NLT
Ezekiel 29:15 ESV
Ezekiel 29:15 NASB
Ezekiel 29:15 KJV
Ezekiel 29:15 Bible Apps
Ezekiel 29:15 Biblia Paralela
Ezekiel 29:15 Chinese Bible
Ezekiel 29:15 French Bible
Ezekiel 29:15 German Bible
Ezekiel 29:15 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.