New International Version
I will bring them back from captivity and return them to Upper Egypt, the land of their ancestry. There they will be a lowly kingdom.
King James Bible
And I will bring again the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return into the land of Pathros, into the land of their habitation; and they shall be there a base kingdom.
Darby Bible Translation
and I will turn again the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return to the land of Pathros, into the land of their birth, and they shall there be a base kingdom.
World English Bible
and I will bring back the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return into the land of Pathros, into the land of their birth; and they shall be there a base kingdom.
Young's Literal Translation
And I have turned back to the captivity of Egypt, And I have brought them back To the land of Pathros, to the land of their birth, And they have been there a low kingdom.
Ezekiel 29:14 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Into the land of Pathros - Supposed to mean the Delta, a country included between the branches of the Nile, called Δ delta, from its being in the form of the Greek letter of that name. It may mean the Pathrusim, in Upper Egypt, near to the Thebaid. This is most likely.
Shall be there a base kingdom - That is, it shall continue to be tributary. It is upwards of two thousand years since this prophecy was delivered, and it has been uninterruptedly fulfilling to the present hour.
1. Egypt became tributary to the Babylonians under Amasis.
2. After the ruin of the Babylonish empire, it became subject to the Persians.
3. After the Persians, it came into the hands of the Macedonians.
4. After the Macedonians it fell into the hands of the Romans.
5. After the division of the Roman empire it was subdued by the Saracens.
6. About a.d. 1250, it came into the hands of the Mameluke slaves.
7. Selim, the ninth emperor of the Turks, conquered the Mamelukes, a.d. 1517, and annexed Egypt to the Ottoman empire, of which it still continues to be a province, governed by a pacha and twenty-four beys, who are always advanced from servitude to the administration of public affairs. So true is it that Egypt, once so glorious, is the basest of kingdoms. See Newton on the prophecies.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryBut Perhaps Some one is Alarmed at Hearing us Discourse of the Death of Him
16. But perhaps some one is alarmed at hearing us discourse of the death of Him of Whom, a short while since, we said that He is everlasting with God the Father, and that He was begotten of the Father's substance, and is one with God the Father, in dominion, majesty, and eternity. But be not alarmed, O faithful hearer. Presently thou wilt see Him of Whose death thou hearest once more immortal; for the death to which He submits is about to spoil death. For the object of that mystery of the Incarnation …
Various—Life and Works of Rufinus with Jerome's Apology Against Rufinus.
In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean.
This word came to Jeremiah concerning all the Jews living in Lower Egypt--in Migdol, Tahpanhes and Memphis--and in Upper Egypt:
Then all the men who knew that their wives were burning incense to other gods, along with all the women who were present--a large assembly--and all the people living in Lower and Upper Egypt, said to Jeremiah,
so that the kingdom would be brought low, unable to rise again, surviving only by keeping his treaty.
I will lay waste Upper Egypt, set fire to Zoan and inflict punishment on Thebes.
Jump to PreviousAncestry Base Birth Captivity Cause Changed Egypt Fate Fortunes Habitation Kingdom Lowly Origin Pathros Restore Turn Turned Unimportant Upper
Jump to NextAncestry Base Birth Captivity Cause Changed Egypt Fate Fortunes Habitation Kingdom Lowly Origin Pathros Restore Turn Turned Unimportant Upper
LinksEzekiel 29:14 NIV
Ezekiel 29:14 NLT
Ezekiel 29:14 ESV
Ezekiel 29:14 NASB
Ezekiel 29:14 KJV
Ezekiel 29:14 Bible Apps
Ezekiel 29:14 Biblia Paralela
Ezekiel 29:14 Chinese Bible
Ezekiel 29:14 French Bible
Ezekiel 29:14 German Bible
Ezekiel 29:14 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.