New International Version
I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.
King James Bible
And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them.
Darby Bible Translation
And I looked, and behold, sinews and flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them over; but there was no breath in them.
World English Bible
I saw, and, behold, there were sinews on them, and flesh came up, and skin covered them above; but there was no breath in them.
Young's Literal Translation
And I beheld, and lo, on them are sinews, and flesh hath come up, and cover them doth skin over above -- and spirit there is none in them.
Ezekiel 37:8 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
I will lay sinews upon you - Observe the progress:
1. Here are the bones.
2. The ligaments, called here sinews, are to be added in order to unite the bones, that the skeleton might be complete.
3. The flesh (the whole muscular system, the subjacent and superjacent muscles, including the arterial and venous system) clothes this skeleton.
4. The skin (the dermis and epidermis, or cutis and cuticle) envelopes the whole of these muscles or flesh; and now these bodies are in the state that the body of Adam was before it received the animal and intellectual principle from God.
5. There was no breath in them - they had not yet received their souls.
6. The wind, רוח ruach, the soul, came into them. They were endued with animal and intellectual life; and they arose and evidenced a complete restoration to life, and began to perform its functions, Ezekiel 37:10.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
No references listed for this verse.
LibraryThe Dry Bones and the Spirit of Life
1. The hand of the Lord was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, 2. And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. 3. And He said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord God, Thou knowest. 4. Again He said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5. Thus …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Shepherd of Our Souls.
How to Make Use of Christ as the Truth, that we May Get Our Case and Condition Cleared up to Us.
So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone.
Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.'"
Jump to PreviousAppeared Beheld Breath Cover Covered Flesh Grew Muscles Sinews Skin Spirit Tendons
Jump to NextAppeared Beheld Breath Cover Covered Flesh Grew Muscles Sinews Skin Spirit Tendons
LinksEzekiel 37:8 NIV
Ezekiel 37:8 NLT
Ezekiel 37:8 ESV
Ezekiel 37:8 NASB
Ezekiel 37:8 KJV
Ezekiel 37:8 Bible Apps
Ezekiel 37:8 Biblia Paralela
Ezekiel 37:8 Chinese Bible
Ezekiel 37:8 French Bible
Ezekiel 37:8 German Bible
Ezekiel 37:8 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.