New International Version
The leaders of Judah and Jerusalem, the court officials, the priests and all the people of the land who walked between the pieces of the calf,
King James Bible
The princes of Judah, and the princes of Jerusalem, the eunuchs, and the priests, and all the people of the land, which passed between the parts of the calf;
Darby Bible Translation
-- the princes of Judah and the princes of Jerusalem, the eunuchs, and the priests, and all the people of the land, that passed between the parts of the calf;
World English Bible
the princes of Judah, and the princes of Jerusalem, the eunuchs, and the priests, and all the people of the land, who passed between the parts of the calf;
Young's Literal Translation
heads of Judah, and heads of Jerusalem, the officers, and the priests, and all the people of the land those passing through between the pieces of the calf --
Jeremiah 34:19 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
When they cut the calf in twain, and passed between the parts thereof - This was the ancient and most solemn way of making a covenant.
1. A calf as sacrifice was offered to God to secure his approbation and support.
2. The victim was then exactly divided from the nose to the rump; the spinal marrow being divided longitudinally, in the most careful manner, that the half of it might remain on each side.
3. These divided parts were laid opposite to each other, a passage being left between them.
4. The contracting parties entered this passage at each end, met in the middle, and there took the covenant oath; adjudging themselves to death should they break this covenant.
5. Then they both feasted on the victim. In reference to this last circumstance, God says he will give their bodies for meat to the fowls of heaven and to the beasts. This is a farther conformity between the crime and the punishment. See my notes on Genesis 15:9-17 (note).
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
The interest of the book of Jeremiah is unique. On the one hand, it is our most reliable and elaborate source for the long period of history which it covers; on the other, it presents us with prophecy in its most intensely human phase, manifesting itself through a strangely attractive personality that was subject to like doubts and passions with ourselves. At his call, in 626 B.C., he was young and inexperienced, i. 6, so that he cannot have been born earlier than 650. The political and religious …
John Edgar McFadyen—Introduction to the Old Testament
When the sun had set and darkness had fallen, a smoking firepot with a blazing torch appeared and passed between the pieces.
So all the officials and people who entered into this covenant agreed that they would free their male and female slaves and no longer hold them in bondage. They agreed, and set them free.
There at Riblah the king of Babylon slaughtered the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes and also killed all the nobles of Judah.
Her officials within her are like wolves tearing their prey; they shed blood and kill people to make unjust gain.
Her officials within her are roaring lions; her rulers are evening wolves, who leave nothing for the morning.
Her prophets are unprincipled; they are treacherous people. Her priests profane the sanctuary and do violence to the law.
Jump to PreviousCalf Court Eunuchs Heads Jerusalem Judah Leaders Officers Officials Parts Passed Passing Pieces Priests Princes Rulers Servants Unsexed Walked
Jump to NextCalf Court Eunuchs Heads Jerusalem Judah Leaders Officers Officials Parts Passed Passing Pieces Priests Princes Rulers Servants Unsexed Walked
LinksJeremiah 34:19 NIV
Jeremiah 34:19 NLT
Jeremiah 34:19 ESV
Jeremiah 34:19 NASB
Jeremiah 34:19 KJV
Jeremiah 34:19 Bible Apps
Jeremiah 34:19 Biblia Paralela
Jeremiah 34:19 Chinese Bible
Jeremiah 34:19 French Bible
Jeremiah 34:19 German Bible
Jeremiah 34:19 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.