New International Version
The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true."
King James Bible
For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
Darby Bible Translation
for thou hast had five husbands, and he whom now thou hast is not thy husband: this thou hast spoken truly.
World English Bible
for you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband. This you have said truly."
Young's Literal Translation
for five husbands thou hast had, and, now, he whom thou hast is not thy husband; this hast thou said truly.'
John 4:18 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Thou hast had five husbands - It is not clear that this woman was a prostitute: she might have been legally married to those five, and might have been divorced through some misbehavior of her own, not amounting to adultery; for the adulteress was to be put to death, both by the Jewish and Samaritan law, not divorced: or she might have been cast off through some caprice of her husband; for, in the time of our Lord, divorces were very common among the Jews, so that a man put away his wife for any fault. See the note on Matthew 5:31. Some are so very fond of exaggerating that nothing can pass through their hands without an increase: hence Heracleon says she had six husbands, and Jerome modestly gives her twenty-two! Viginti duos habuisti maritos, et ille a quo sepelieris non est tuus. "Thou hast had twenty-two husbands and he by whom thou shalt be buried is not thine." Epist. xi.
He whom thou now hast is not thy husband - Νυν ὁν εχεις, ουκ εϚι σου ανηρ. Bishop Pearce would translate this clause in the following manner: There is no husband whom thou now hast - or, less literally, Thou hast no husband now: probably the meaning is, Thou art contracted to another, but not yet brought home: therefore he is not yet thy husband. See Rosenmuller. Bishop Pearce contends that our Lord did not speak these words to her by way of reproof:
1. Because it is not likely that a woman so far advanced in years as to have had five husbands should have now been found living in adultery with a sixth person.
2. Because it is not likely that our Lord would not, in some part of his discourse, have reproved her for her fornication, especially if guilty of it under such gross circumstances.
3. Nor is it likely that a woman of so bad a life should have had so much influence with the people of her city that they should, on her testimony, John 4:39-42, believe Jesus to be the Messiah.
4. Nor is it at all likely that when a discovery of her guilt was made to her, by one whom she acknowledged to be a prophet, John 4:19, the first thing which came into her thoughts should be the important question in religion, about the place appointed by God for his worship, so warmly contested between the Jews and Samaritans.
5. Nor is it at all probable that a person of such a bad life, without any mentioned sign of repentance, should have been the first (perhaps the only private person) to whom Jesus is recorded as declaring himself to be the Christ, as he does to her, John 4:26.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryAugust 23 Morning
I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.--JER. 31:3. We are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.--God . . . hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
May 24 Morning
October 17 Evening
November 8 Evening
"I have no husband," she replied. Jesus said to her, "You are right when you say you have no husband.
"Sir," the woman said, "I can see that you are a prophet.
Jump to PreviousFact Five Husband Husbands Present Quite Truth True.
Jump to NextFact Five Husband Husbands Present Quite Truth True.
LinksJohn 4:18 NIV
John 4:18 NLT
John 4:18 ESV
John 4:18 NASB
John 4:18 KJV
John 4:18 Bible Apps
John 4:18 Biblia Paralela
John 4:18 Chinese Bible
John 4:18 French Bible
John 4:18 German Bible
John 4:18 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.