New International Version
summoned all Israel--their elders, leaders, judges and officials--and said to them: "I am very old.
King James Bible
And Joshua called for all Israel, and for their elders, and for their heads, and for their judges, and for their officers, and said unto them, I am old and stricken in age:
Darby Bible Translation
that Joshua called for all Israel, for their elders, and for their heads, and for their judges, and for their officers, and said unto them, I am become old, advanced in age;
World English Bible
that Joshua called for all Israel, for their elders and for their heads, and for their judges and for their officers, and said to them, "I am old and well advanced in years.
Young's Literal Translation
and Joshua calleth for all Israel, for its elders, and for its heads, and for its judges, and for its authorities, and saith unto them, 'I have become old; I have entered into days;
Joshua 23:2 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Joshua called for all Israel - There are four degrees of civil distinction mentioned here:
1. זקנים zekenim, the elders or senate, the Princes of the tribes.
2. ראשים rashim or rashey aboth, the Chiefs or Heads of families.
3. שפטים shophetim, the Judges who interpreted and decided according to the law.
4. שטרים shoterim, the Officers, serjeants, etc., who executed the decisions of the judges.
Whether this assembly was held at Timnath-serah, where Joshua 54ed, or at Shiloh, where the ark was, or at Shechem, as in Joshua 24:1, we cannot tell. Some think that the meaning here, and that mentioned in Joshua 24:1, were the same, and if so, Shechem was the place of assembling; but it is more likely that the two chapters treat of two distinct assemblies, whether held at the same place or not.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
and for their elders Or, `even for their elders,' etc.; for it is probably that Joshua gave the following charge only to the elders, judges, etc., to communicate to the people.
LibraryBut He, Knowing the Custom, and Fearing that his Body Would be Treated This...
91. But he, knowing the custom, and fearing that his body would be treated this way, hastened, and having bidden farewell to the monks in the outer mountain entered the inner mountain, where he was accustomed to abide. And after a few months he fell sick. Having summoned those who were there--they were two in number who had remained in the mountain fifteen years, practising the discipline and attending on Antony on account of his age--he said to them, I, as it is written  , go the way of the …
Athanasius—Select Works and Letters or Athanasius
Then Joshua assembled all the tribes of Israel at Shechem. He summoned the elders, leaders, judges and officials of Israel, and they presented themselves before God.
You yourselves have seen everything the LORD your God has done to all these nations for your sake; it was the LORD your God who fought for you.
Jump to PreviousAdvanced Age Authorities Chiefs Elders Entered Heads Israel Joshua Judges Leaders Officers Officials Overseers Responsible Stricken Summoned
Jump to NextAdvanced Age Authorities Chiefs Elders Entered Heads Israel Joshua Judges Leaders Officers Officials Overseers Responsible Stricken Summoned
LinksJoshua 23:2 NIV
Joshua 23:2 NLT
Joshua 23:2 ESV
Joshua 23:2 NASB
Joshua 23:2 KJV
Joshua 23:2 Bible Apps
Joshua 23:2 Biblia Paralela
Joshua 23:2 Chinese Bible
Joshua 23:2 French Bible
Joshua 23:2 German Bible
Joshua 23:2 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.