New International Version
"'During the entire period of their Nazirite vow, no razor may be used on their head. They must be holy until the period of their dedication to the LORD is over; they must let their hair grow long.
King James Bible
All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no rasor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
Darby Bible Translation
All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head; until the days be fulfilled, that he hath consecrated himself to Jehovah, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
World English Bible
"'All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come on his head, until the days are fulfilled, in which he separates himself to Yahweh. He shall be holy. He shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow long.
Young's Literal Translation
'All days of the vow of his separation a razor doth not pass over his head; till the fulness of the days which he doth separate to Jehovah he is holy; grown up hath the upper part of the hair of his head.
Numbers 6:5 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
There shall no razor come upon his head - The vow of the Nazarite consisted in the following particulars: -
1. He consecrated himself in a very especial and extraordinary manner to God.
2. This was to continue for a certain season, probably never less than a whole year, that he might have a full growth of hair to burn in the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace-offering, Numbers 6:18.
3. During the time of his separation, or nazarate, he drank no wine nor strong drink; nor used any vinegar formed from any inebriating liquor, nor ate the flesh or dried grapes, nor tasted even the kernels or husks of any thing that had grown upon the vine.
4. He never shaved his head, but let his hair grow, as the proof of his being in this separated state, and under vows of peculiar austerity.
5. He never touched any dead body, nor did any of the last offices, even to his nearest kin; but was considered as the priests, who were wholly taken up with the service of God, and regarded nothing else.
6. All the days of his separation he was holy, Numbers 6:8.
During the whole time he was to be incessantly employed in religious acts.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibrarySeparation to God.
NUMB. VI. 1-21. THE INSTITUTION OF THE ORDER OF NAZARITES. The first twenty-one verses of Numb. vi. give us an account of the institution and ordinances of the order of Nazarites. And let us note at the outset that this institution, like every other good and perfect gift, came from above; that GOD Himself gave this privilege--unasked--to His people; thereby showing His desire that "whosoever will" of His people may be brought into closest relationship to Himself. It was very gracious of GOD to permit …
James Hudson Taylor—Separation and Service
These Things, My Brother Aurelius, Most Dear unto Me...
Things to be Meditated on as Thou Goest to the Church.
Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sisters and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken.
As long as they remain under their Nazirite vow, they must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, not even the seeds or skins.
So he told her everything. "No razor has ever been used on my head," he said, "because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother's womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man."
1 Samuel 1:11
And she made a vow, saying, "LORD Almighty, if you will only look on your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head."
"'They must not shave their heads or let their hair grow long, but they are to keep the hair of their heads trimmed.
Jump to PreviousConsecrateth Fulfilled Grow Hair Head Holy Locks Naziriteship Razor Separated Separates Separateth Separation Vow
Jump to NextConsecrateth Fulfilled Grow Hair Head Holy Locks Naziriteship Razor Separated Separates Separateth Separation Vow
LinksNumbers 6:5 NIV
Numbers 6:5 NLT
Numbers 6:5 ESV
Numbers 6:5 NASB
Numbers 6:5 KJV
Numbers 6:5 Bible Apps
Numbers 6:5 Biblia Paralela
Numbers 6:5 Chinese Bible
Numbers 6:5 French Bible
Numbers 6:5 German Bible
Numbers 6:5 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.