New International Version
"'Throughout the period of their dedication to the LORD, the Nazirite must not go near a dead body.
King James Bible
All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body.
Darby Bible Translation
All the days that he hath consecrated himself to Jehovah, he shall come near no dead body.
World English Bible
"'All the days that he separates himself to Yahweh he shall not go near a dead body.
Young's Literal Translation
'All days of his keeping separate to Jehovah, near a dead person he doth not go;
Numbers 6:6 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
There shall no razor come upon his head - The vow of the Nazarite consisted in the following particulars: -
1. He consecrated himself in a very especial and extraordinary manner to God.
2. This was to continue for a certain season, probably never less than a whole year, that he might have a full growth of hair to burn in the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace-offering, Numbers 6:18.
3. During the time of his separation, or nazarate, he drank no wine nor strong drink; nor used any vinegar formed from any inebriating liquor, nor ate the flesh or dried grapes, nor tasted even the kernels or husks of any thing that had grown upon the vine.
4. He never shaved his head, but let his hair grow, as the proof of his being in this separated state, and under vows of peculiar austerity.
5. He never touched any dead body, nor did any of the last offices, even to his nearest kin; but was considered as the priests, who were wholly taken up with the service of God, and regarded nothing else.
6. All the days of his separation he was holy, Numbers 6:8.
During the whole time he was to be incessantly employed in religious acts.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
he shall come
LibrarySeparation to God.
NUMB. VI. 1-21. THE INSTITUTION OF THE ORDER OF NAZARITES. The first twenty-one verses of Numb. vi. give us an account of the institution and ordinances of the order of Nazarites. And let us note at the outset that this institution, like every other good and perfect gift, came from above; that GOD Himself gave this privilege--unasked--to His people; thereby showing His desire that "whosoever will" of His people may be brought into closest relationship to Himself. It was very gracious of GOD to permit …
James Hudson Taylor—Separation and Service
These Things, My Brother Aurelius, Most Dear unto Me...
Things to be Meditated on as Thou Goest to the Church.
The LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them: 'A priest must not make himself ceremonially unclean for any of his people who die,
"Whoever touches a human corpse will be unclean for seven days.
Jump to PreviousBody Consecrated Consecrateth Dead Keeping Period Separate Separates Separateth Separation Throughout Time
Jump to NextBody Consecrated Consecrateth Dead Keeping Period Separate Separates Separateth Separation Throughout Time
LinksNumbers 6:6 NIV
Numbers 6:6 NLT
Numbers 6:6 ESV
Numbers 6:6 NASB
Numbers 6:6 KJV
Numbers 6:6 Bible Apps
Numbers 6:6 Biblia Paralela
Numbers 6:6 Chinese Bible
Numbers 6:6 French Bible
Numbers 6:6 German Bible
Numbers 6:6 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.