And it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob was fled.…
1. Plain and ready answers become the saints against the charges of the wicked.
2. Just fear of violence is a just ground of the saints escaping it, under God's call.
3. God's call and saints' fear of dangers from men may well consist together.
4. Violent rapture of wives and children by cruel men may make the saints afraid of, and fly from it (ver. 31).
5. Holy souls abhor idols, and much more the covering of them.
6. Innocency is not afraid to put itself upon trial of life.
7. Plain honest hearts dare put themselves upon the search and judgment of their enemies.
8. Good fathers of families would have all with them innocent its themselves.
9. Good men may be too confident of the goodness of such as are under them.
10. Ignorance of other's hearts and actions makes men so rash and confident of them (ver. 32).
(G. Hughes, B. D. .)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob was fled.