And he slept with Hagar, and she conceived. But when Hagar realized that she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress.
I. HAGAR'S SINS.
II. SARAI'S FAULTS.
1. Tempting her husband.
2. Excusing herself.
3. Appealing to God.
4. Afflicting her servant.
III. ABRAM'S INFIRMITY.
1. Yielding to temptation.
2. Perpetrating injustice.
3. Acquiescing in oppression. - W.
1. Nothing more proud than a beggar set on horseback, and a very ape, if you place him up aloft, begins to bridle the matter and take upon him marvellously.
When she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyed.I. THOSE WHO ARE SUDDENLY RAISED IN THE SOCIAL SCALE ARE TEMPTED TO PRIDE AND INSOLENCE.
II. THOSE WHO HAVE TAKEN PART IN THE ABOLISHING OF SUCH DISTINCTIONS ARE THE FIRST TO COMPLAIN OF THE EVILS CAUSED THEREBY.
1. They complain of their troubles so as to excuse themselves.
2. They often make rash appeals to Divine justice.
III. THE RECOGNITION OF ORIGINAL RIGHTS IS THE BEST WAY OF DEALING WITH SUCH EVILS.
1. This is a better course than the immediate imputation of such evils to those who have caused them.
2. Meek submission becomes true might in the end.
IV. THE EVILS BROUGHT ABOUT BY SUDDEN AND VIOLENT CHANGES IN THE SOCIAL STATE ARE NEVER FULLY REMEDIED.
(T. H. Leale.)
2. It teacheth that adversity is better borne than prosperity of many one.
3. It showeth the end of evil counsel, Sarah is beaten with her own rod.
LinksGenesis 16:4 NIV
Genesis 16:4 NLT
Genesis 16:4 ESV
Genesis 16:4 NASB
Genesis 16:4 KJV
Genesis 16:4 Bible Apps
Genesis 16:4 Parallel
Genesis 16:4 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 16:4 Chinese Bible
Genesis 16:4 French Bible
Genesis 16:4 German Bible
Genesis 16:4 Commentaries