Then Joseph threw his arms around his brother Benjamin and wept, and Benjamin wept as they embraced.
I. THE END IS GOODNESS AND MERCY.
1. To preserve life.
2. To set the seed of the better society in the midst of the corruptions and imperfections of the old.
3. To prepare the way for the higher revelations of the future.
II. GOD'S METHOD OF INSTRUMENTALITIES HIS GLORY.
1. The history of his people, their persecutions, their apparent humiliations, their marvelous victories.
2. The transformation of men, whereby enemies are made friends, &c.
3. The biographies of distinguished servants of God illustrate his grace in bestowing fitness for appointed work.
III. MYSTERIES LOOKED AT FROM A HIGHER POINT OF VIEW BECOME REVELATIONS.
1. Time a great revealer. Wait for the Lord.
2. The narrow circle of a family history taken up into the higher sphere of Divine purposes concerning nations and humanity itself.
3. Ultimate vindication of the spiritual men and spiritual principles as against the merely earthly and selfish aims of individuals or communities. - R.
1. Grace forbids not natural working of affection in its measure.
And he fell upon his brother Benjamin's neck, and wept; and Benjamin wept upon his neck.
I. Tears of love are true evidences — and evidences which can scarcely speak falsely.
II. Tears have much of the nature of sacrifice in them.
III. Though there are no tears in heaven, yet loving tears on earth come nearer than anything else in the world to the alleluias of the saints, for they are the outbursts of an irrepressible emotion.
IV. Tears of kindness act back again, and make the kindness from which they spring. In order to have the heart soft enough for tears —
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (J. Vaughan, M. A.)
(2) (3) (4) (5) (J. Vaughan, M. A.)
(3) (4) (5) (J. Vaughan, M. A.)
(4) (5) (J. Vaughan, M. A.)
(5) (J. Vaughan, M. A.)
(J. Vaughan, M. A.)
2. Mutual workings of hearts in brethren is but natural (ver. 14).
3. Sincere kisses and tears of injured brethren to offenders are remarkable.
4. Brotherly communion may be freely had, when grace had put away all offences, and accepted offenders (ver. 15).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
(A. M. Symington, D. D.)
LinksGenesis 45:14 NIV
Genesis 45:14 NLT
Genesis 45:14 ESV
Genesis 45:14 NASB
Genesis 45:14 KJV
Genesis 45:14 Bible Apps
Genesis 45:14 Parallel
Genesis 45:14 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 45:14 Chinese Bible
Genesis 45:14 French Bible
Genesis 45:14 German Bible
Genesis 45:14 Commentaries